Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lazy Poem Post #1

So since I've been working and haven't had much time or energy to put anything up here lately, I've decided an optimal cop out for everyone is that for every week or so that I'm not able to post, I'll put up an old poem or short story, as a castigation for me (who hates the idea of his innermost musing being stripped bare for all the internet to see) and an opportunity for you to 1.) see some poetry that probably two or three people, including my mother, have seen or b.) to further punish me by writing stinging critical remarks on the comment boards. Diligite justitiam, o judices terrae. Go ahead. Have your way with me.

Turbines

There’s nothing to this discussion.
I decided that a few minutes in
It would be a loss of words
And I was still, if not more, convinced
After scant political phrases
Shot 'round your tongue and gum.

Already I was thinking of a record
Filtered down from a high window
And the fragile voice that retraced its fall,
Or one young tree on the street
That held tight to its tattered leaves
Even this late in September,
And how I'd felt with both of these
A false and arrogant pride,
And how later we thawed shapes in the frost
Leaving green circles under our blanket.

I wish I'd have strained then
To hear whispers slicing through the air
Rather than now having to block a windy roar
That whips past my ears
And slams me shut like a screen door.

Some words filter through
Little waffles of sentences
Criss-crossed in meaning
Till they're almost indecipherable:
Sprawl. Toil. Harmonize.


No comments:

Post a Comment